A late 17th or 18th century elm water pipe section
Adapted circa 1905 as a jardiniere, inset with a cast iron and sheet metal liner — 12.1/4in. (31 cm) high; 25.1/4in. (64 cm) wide
The water pipe probably carried water from Clerkenwell round pond to the City of London. The pipes were made from tree trunks, mainly elm, bored through from end to end. It was probably dug up when ground was being prepared for the Northampton Institute in Clerkenwell in 1902, and shortly after adapted with a metal liner for use as a jardiniere. The pipes were first laid by Sir Hugh Myddleton in 1613 and the last in 1797.