A York burr walnut bowl by John Hardy, 1836
Turned from wood dating from the late 14th or early 15th century, salvaged after restoration work undertaken at York minster in the early 1830’s, and inset with a brass plaque inscribed ‘Yorkminster 1836’ — 10.1/4in. (26 cm) diameter; 3.1/4in. (8 cm) high
This beautiful bowl was probably made by John Hardy who was a snuff box maker from 1824 to 1843. He owned a turnery and cabinet warehouse in 6 Coney St, York his shop later known as 'The Ark' which traded in a diverse range of products especially jewellery. An 1830 street directory listed John Hardy as "jeweller, English and Foreign whs & spinning wheel mfr". In the Yorkshire Gazette newspaper for 15th September 1832 John Hardy advertised " A great variety of articles manufactured from wood rescued during the Great Fire at The Minister in 1829 which are now becoming exceedingly rare and valuable".
Condition: no issues.